Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Pretty in Plaid

I've been working diligently on the Plaid Granny Square Blanket I'm currently making for LM, and I love how it's coming along.  I've developed a real love for Granny Squares lately, I'm pinning them like crazy on Pinterest, I'm looking them up on Ravelry, and I'm taking books out of the library for inspiration.  I may have to break down and buy a few though, because many of the really cool Granny Square's I'm seeing and loving have come from books.  I've also made a realization about them - I never like Granny Square blankets before because they seemed like a throwback to uncool 60's and 70's crochet.  But here's the thing - it's all about the colours.  I've seen some blankets done in modern colour combinations, bordered in white, and they're beautiful.  Something I'd be extremely proud to display in my home.  I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

For now though, I'll just leave you with a picture of what I've done so far on LM's Big Boy Bed Blanket.  I'm actually a bit more done than this - I'm almost finished the second row.  Each row is 11 squares and there will be 11 rows in the blanket altogether.  The squares are 6" each, so the blanket itself should come out to approximately 66", or 5 and a half feet long, by 5 and half feet wide.  I'm using Patons Decor Acrylic/Wool yarn in 4 different colours - Winter White, Pale Country Blue, Country Blue, and Rich Country Blue.  I think it's going to match LM's room perfectly, and I'm going to use the colours as a guide when I hopefully repaint the toy box I got from my mom next week.


Isn't it pretty?  I can't wait until it's done!

4 comments:

  1. Cara, the blanket is coming along beautifully!!! The joining looks perfect. But most important, I am so glad you are enjoying the process.
    I know the feeling of being in love with grannies and motifs, because that is where I am now. It is so much fun!
    Keep the good work!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ana! I absolutely love it so far. I also really loved your most recent version with the pretty green and blue and cream and beige. I may have to do one similar for my own bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cara,
    I used to feel about granny square blankets the same way. So old-fashioned and not cool, I thought. But recently I saw so many beautiful and creative granny square blankets that I want to make one too. But it seems like a lot of work though. For now I do smaller projects. But hopefully this year I will start my granny square throw.

    Your blanket is coming along pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Olga (sorry I didn't reply earlier - it's been a busy week!) I admit, it is a lot of work. But I think that's the beauty of granny squares is that they don't feel quite as overwhelming as trying to stitch one huge large blanket would. They're a lot easier to pick up and put down, and if you throw a smaller project in here and there, you don't feel quite so much like you're abandoning it, plus you don't get confused about where you left off so it's not difficult to pick it back up again.

    ReplyDelete